Sunday, March 24, 2013

Reading With Friends

One of my favorite things to do is read. I have always loved a good book. Especially the kind where you fall in love with the characters and genuinely miss these people when the book is over! I know....some of you CANNOT relate. But I would gladly sacrifice sleep for a good book.

Before I had kids, at least. Now I realize that life and responsibility come barrelling down on you at 6am, regardless of whether or not you went to sleep on time. So, I don't stay up until crazy hours of the morning trying to get to "a good stopping place" anymore. But I do still love to read when I can, and over the years I've learned to enjoy more books that are meaningful and sharpening (i.e. non-fiction).

A few years ago God dropped one of the greatest blessings into my life...a group of friends who enjoy reading too! We started meeting regularly (ok, actually it was three times a year over the summer months) for book club.   


We grab drinks or snacks from the coffee shop and sit down for several hours to discuss what we loved or hated about the book, how we were challenged, how we were changed. There is lots of laughter, sometimes tears, and always the formation of a tighter bond as sweet friends open up and share from their own hearts and experiences.


Seriously, this is one of my favorite things to be a part of! Together we've read titles from Francis Chan, David Platt, Carolyn Mahaney, John Rosemond, Gary Thomas, Timothy Keller, Tullian Tchividjian, Ann Voskamp and others.


This year we got extra crazy and added a few book club meetings during the winter months. I was just refreshed last week by this great group and a hilarious book. I love these girls and I love the opportunity we have to "sharpen" one another (Proverbs 27:17) on a regular basis.

God gave us a great gift when He gave us relationships. "Let us not give up meeting together" (Hebrews 10:25)...especially when the meeting is both fun and encouraging; enlightening and Christ-centered.

No comments: