Saturday, June 1, 2013

Plans with Eternal Purpose


We have survived the whirlwind month of May! Here's a brief recap:

We watched swim meets,

enjoyed puppet show school projects, 


participated in church programs,


enjoyed some sweet time with Jon's family at the beach,


attended tea party birthday parties,


ballet recitals, 




end of the year choir performances,



field day,


class awards ceremonies,



and spent some sweet time with my family as well.


This fun picture includes the most senior (88 year young grandma) and most junior (7 month old nephew) members of my family!


Here we are partying on the last day of school:



and our temporary yard pet...


We also celebrated graduations with lots of our seniors throughout the month.

And now, needless to say, we are ready for SUMMER!

I've signed the kids up for various camps and activities. I've looked up the summer reading activities at the library. I've made travel plans to see family. I've checked the free summer movie schedule (not great options as it turns out). I've reserved several audio books for long car trips. I've made plans for day trips to the beach. I've picked up the pool schedule.

We are ready. Except for one important thing. As I was thinking through our summer plans I realized I failed to plan for one crucial thing: spiritual growth. Several years ago I went through a study on the life of Paul with the kids. Every day after lunch we sat down to talk about the Book of Acts. Paul is a very exciting Bible character for kids...especially if you tell the stories with excitement and enthusiasm! Blinding lights, supernatural miracles, dangerous journeys, near-death experiences, shipwrecks, snake bites, and a life-changing message. Don't tell me the Bible's not an exciting read. The kids were really into it. Well, one was napping of course, but the other two were fully engaged! They would even remind me if I forgot to do the Bible lesson on a particular day. Because we were studying the missionary Paul we also talked about and prayed for several modern-day missionaries (some who we even knew personally). We had a big map of the world and learned how to find the different countries of the missionary families we were praying for.

So, what happened this summer? How did I forget to plan for such an important thing? Why is the beach, pool and library on my calendar, but not the study of God's Word? Why have we planned and prepared for all sorts of growth experiences except spiritual?

Yikes! Praise the Lord that His Holy Spirit reveals to us our faults and weaknesses. Praise the Lord I realized this oversight on June 1st and not August 15!

My weekend plans? Pray for wisdom and make a plan for the daily spiritual training of my children over the next few months. Lord, please help us use this extra time in summer for eternal purposes and not just selfish pursuits!   

No comments: