Monday, September 30, 2013

Worshipping God

A little over a week ago Jon had the opportunity to preach on a Sunday night. He did a great job, but an unexpected lesson that has really stuck with me from that evening was something my four-year-old said. About halfway through the sermon, in typical four-year-old style, she leaned over and whisper shouted with great enthusiasm "Daddy is worshipping God!" I gave her a little smile and put my finger over my lips to remind her we weren't supposed to be talking.

But the comment stuck with me. So much so that I wrote it down at the bottom of my page so I wouldn't forget it later.


Over the years I have heard numerous pastors, teachers, and leaders remind their listeners that when we come to church, worship doesn't stop when the music ends. Corporate prayer is an act of worship. Giving our money is an act of worship. And, yes, the preaching and studying of God's Word is an act of worship. In fact, every aspect of our lives should be an act of worship.

Somehow, in that moment, my young child got that. She saw her daddy on stage, talking about the Bible and teaching what it says, and she felt compelled to tell me that daddy was worshipping. Perhaps to remind me that every aspect of my life should be worship too. Not just the moments when I'm listening to praise music in my van or talking to God in prayer. Not just the moments when I'm reading His Word or sharing His Truth with others. But every moment.

Standing in a long line with three energetic kids in a store should be an act of worship. Assisting someone who interrupts my planned schedule with a need or question should be an act of worship. Planning healthy meals and cooking for my family should be an act of worship. Even scrubbing spaghetti sauce off the wall behind my child's chair and scraping rock-hard cheerios off the floor should be an act of worship!  

Because worship isn't just a song on my lips or words from my mouth. Worship is a state of my heart. A heart that should be bowing down before our Mighty God who deserves more glory and honor and praise than our sin-prone lives could ever muster up. A heart that should recognize that caring for others and loving others is our calling and a way to show God we love Him.

Perhaps that's exactly what I need to remember this week. I was created to bring God glory and to worship Him with my life. And no matter what I'm doing, it should be an act of worship to my King.

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. AND WHATEVER YOU DO, WHETHER IN WORD OR DEED, DO IT ALL IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (Col 3:16-17)

Lord, help me to do everything for Your glory. Help me to live each moment, especially the hard ones, as an act of worship to You. Help me to offer my entire self as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to You...may this be my spiritual act of worship (Romans 12:1). 

No comments: