Saturday, September 13, 2014

Seeing The Rainbow

A couple of weeks ago I was driving home when it started to rain. It was kind of cloudy, but the sun was still shining brightly and the rain was coming in little patches as we drove. I told my five year old to keep her eyes open because this was the sort of weather where you might see a rainbow. 

A minute or two later she was pointing out her window proclaiming "There it is! There it is! I see the rainbow!" And sure enough, the faint colors of a rainbow were deepening across the western part of our sky. 

I guess we could label this the "Summer of the Rainbow". It sounds a little cheesy, but we saw three in less than three months this past summer. 

The first one was back in June. Jon and I had gone to a nice restaurant at the beach. It was an impromptu date night with a last minute babysitter for the older kids. Our then-6-month-old was with us at the restaurant and she sat quietly in her carseat for almost the entire meal. After dinner we thought it would be fun to go walk on the beach and maybe get a picture of our little one seeing the ocean for the first time. 

We found a parking spot, discussed whether or not we should pay the meter since parking would be free in 15 minutes, and headed for the sand. As we were walking toward the wooden walkway leading out to the ocean, a few drops of rain started to fall. Not enough to even call it a drizzle, but I was glad we'd opted not to pay for parking! We hurried up the stairs and took a few pictures with the ocean in the background. By that point the rain was coming and we were just about to turn to leave (without even setting foot on the sand) when I glanced at the pictures we had taken. As I scrolled through the quick pics on Jon's phone to see if any were "good enough" for the baby book I hope to make some day, I noticed a rainbow in the background.  


I looked up at the sky to see that there was indeed a full rainbow forming directly over the ocean. And I had almost missed it! 


I was so worried about the rain coming and not getting to walk on the beach and needing to get back to the car, that I almost didn't see the rainbow. 

And I thought about how that tends to happen to me. I get so caught up in the issue or the problem or the task that I miss the beauty behind the storm. I miss the promise that God is there and that He is faithful. I miss the point that there is more to life than just the appointments in my calendar or the items on my to-do list. 

And I realized that I need to see more rainbows. I mean, I need to notice them. Recognize them. God has been stamping rainbows in the sky to remind us of His faithful promise for thousands of years. So why do I sometimes have such a hard time remembering that He is good, and He is faithful, and He is working out His plan? Why do I fear and doubt and spin my wheels trying to get things done and work things out on my own? 

Lord, please teach me to stop. And to trust You. And to see the rainbow. 


"And God said, 'This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh.'"  (Genesis 9:12-15a)





No comments: